Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Justin's Journal

Estámos en Mexico! We are in Mexico! Today is the our third full day here but it already feels like we’ve been here a week. The church, the missionaries, and so many others in the community welcomed us so intensely that I doubt anyone has had a speck of homesickness.

SATURDAY
Andrew and Jenny, the AIMers (the students from Adventures in Missions) and the lead missionary, Doug, met us at the airport upon our arrival. A friendly connection was established and immediately strengthened when we learned that Jenny is the daughter of Jerome Williams. We reminisced about our favorite songs that Jerome has lead at our church and other youth retreats like Winterfest. By the way we interacted with the AIMers and the other church members later in the week, you would never guess that we had just met.

Doug and the AIMers helped us find the bus as we prepared to leave Mexico City for Cuernavaca. The bus ride was unforgettable. Doug told us all about his years as a missionary, when he and his wife moved to Mexico, what they’re plans and hopes are, etc. But the drive alone was picturesque and peaceful. As we wound up and down the mountain roads leaving the Mexico valley, every face was pressed to the glass or peering over the shoulders of those across the aisle. We gazed at the gleaming lights that filled the valley below and behind us. Mexico City looked like a lake of stars, like a reflection of the night sky. Our approach to Cuernavaca offered the same sublunary scenes.

SUNDAY
I never thought the Sunday morning air of Mexico would have been so cold, though it quickly passed after sunrise. At the church service, we received the same warm greeting as from the night before. The church members greeted us with a Holy Kiss. I could tell this was going to be the intimate setting a church is supposed to have, like the first churches or a Caring Group. Doug and Sandy, his wife, offered coffee to us because the service would not start on time. I think concept of time here is something like Brett and April have described about Togo- If the people show up the day of...be happy.

While we were waiting, Paul, one of the other missionaries here, asked if I would read scripture during the service. I was delighted to have the opportunity as well the chance to use one of the talents with which God has blessed me. My spanish has helped me communicate with others and understand so much around me. I even understood most of the sermon and the spanish praise songs, too. It was great to share a bilingual service with the church in that we sang “Let Us Adore” and “There Is a Stirring”. Feeling God’s presence in that place helped me realize the Holy Spirit has no official language. Keith would later remind us of the contrast between the Tower of Babel and the Day of Pentecost. We remind each other not to forget how each of us can serve and love with our many talents.

MONDAY
On Monday, some of the church members joined us as we went to sing to the residents at a local nursing home. We formed groups to greet the residents and hand them towels that read “Amados por Dios” (Loved by God). We each spent time sitting and talking with the different residents until it was time to sing with them. We sang over a dozen songs in English and Spanish. We had a list of songs prepared but we also took request from the residents. WE SANG “WHEN THE ROLL IS CALLED UP YONDER” IN SPANISH! One of the sweet old ladies said it was her favorite and asked if we would sing it. Most were delighted but I was excited to sing it. That song reminds me of my late Great-grandmother, which adds to the warm-welcomed feeling. But I can’t leave out Socorro “Coco”.

We met Coco at church last Sunday. Since then, she has joined our group for several small devotionals, shopping in the market, and other outings around the city. She is a sweet old lady who would probably get mad and yet still laugh about being called an old lady. She uses every bit of energy when she worships. Her contagious warmth and sense of humor can only be matched by one other person I’ve ever known, Diane Logan. I could see those two “old ladies” getting lots of teenagers in and out of trouble. Coco, like Mrs. Diane, loves hugs and, several times, I took her arm as we walked from place to place. I could write another five pages about how great Coco is and how much I smile when I think about Mrs. Diane but I’ll get back to Mexico.

We left the nursing home and went to the catholic church Iglesia Palmyra that sits atop one of the highest points in the area. The church is an open sanctuary with a panoramic view of Cuernavaca and the surrounding cities. Imagine an amphitheater with twenty foot trees in the back half of the sanctuary. There was no roof, only a sixty foot overhang that extended from over the altar. We sang “We Shall Assemble on the Mountain” then quietly headed back to the vans.

Heading back down the mountain, I thought about the juxtaposition of God’s creation and worshiping God. I like the idea of mixing nature and worship, like an Easter sunrise service on the levee of the Mississippi River. But my intrigue with this idea quickly turned to confusion and bitterness when we arrived at the ancient ruins of Teopanzocol. I walked around taking pictures of broken down platforms and temples that were used to do who knows what. We all walked around the top of the main temple, marveling at the architecture but disgusted at the pagan rituals that occurred there. Keith gathered us all to help focus our thoughts back to God’s purpose. Though we were visiting a Mesoamerican temple, we know that whenever two or more gather in His name then He will be present. We sang “This is Holy Ground” as we acknowledged God’s omnipotence and omnipresence. Then Daniel, one of the other church members who has joined us throughout our experience, asked if he could sing us the only English song he knows. He started singing “O Come All Ye Faithful” and we all joined him, who cares if it’s March. I don’t know how to explain what happened in that place when we were there or what occurred centuries ago but I left remembering that God is in control.

Out of all of Monday’s activities the dinner was the best. We ate at El Burger and I would bet that none of us had ever experienced a similar form of service. Rodrigo, one of the young locals from church Sunday, opened El Burger with his brother not long ago. Rodrigo is only 17 and he goes to school until the afternoons when he works at his restaurant. But the amazing part of it all, and how we were able to serve through simply eating there, is that Rodrigo started El Burger to help Rosa, his mother. His father left there family and Rosa recently became ill. We were able to serve Rodrigo and his family by allowing them the opportunity to service us. Rosa and Rodrigo kept checking in on each of us asking, “Justin, mi amor, que le faltan?” (Justin, my love, what can I get you?) The smiles never left there faces the entire time we were there. I can’t keep from thinking about Philippians 2:14-16:
“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold onto the word of life-in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.”
We sing Hazme un Siervo (Make Me a Servant) and if we look to each other we will see how Gold plans for us to love each other. But when we are lacking we can be there to strengthen each other “as iron sharpens iron” (Prov. 27:17).

TUESDAY
So here I am, Tuesday evening, thinking back on the events from today. And wouldn’t you know, it’s been just as lovely as the previous two. We went to an orphanage where we played with the children and continued to learn from the the locals to whom we came to serve. I sat down with Manuel and Leena so I could read them several children’s adaptions of Bible stories. We began with the story of Davíd, then Noé (Noah), and finally two stories of Jesus; with the little children and the crucifixion. “Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these’” (Matt. 19:14). Leena sat in my lap and turned the pages while Manuel sat next to us listening and wearing my sunglasses. I read them the story of the crucifixion but the last page ending saying Jesús vivó (Jesus lives). I was happy to read it to them but discouraged because there is more to the story. I asked Manuel, “Donde está Jesús?” (Where is Jesus). He pointed up to el cielo (Heaven). I agreed with him but also told him, “Jesús está en tu corazón” (Jesus is in your heart).

Little children can only be read stories for so long and eventually we got up to play soccer and jump on the trampoline. I jumped with Manuel and José Luis (who wrote his name in my journal). They wanted to be thrown in the air but they weren’t prepared for how I timed a bounce with my toss to send them 15 feet above the ground. I never saw such happy faces covered in terror. They laughed as I caught them but they were still nervous about how high they flew. éé

Around mid-day we stopped for lunch. Earlier this morning we had made sack lunches for the children and ourselves. There was plenty left over, not quite 12 baskets full but enough to fill plastic bags of leftover fruit, chips, and sandwiches for the kids who wanted them. The children were so excited to have bags of food, “Tengo mucha comida” (I have so much food), they sang as they ran back to the play area.

After lunch we sat under the amate to sing a few songs we had prepared for the children. We went through our songs, some of which the children knew, then we sang a few in English. I’m so glad we sang those songs in English and I don’t know if the children understood it as a treat or a challenge but we spent the next hour taking turns with the children. They sang in Spanish as we responded with our songs in English. We sang every song I knew from little worship from Carriage Hills and I lead some songs that I learned from my service work in Honduras last August. But my favorite times were when we would start a song or the children would start a song and each of us would recognize the song and join the singing in our native language. We sang “Father Abraham” and I saw some of the children singing along in Spanish, then the children started “I Could Sing of Your Love Forever” and we joined them in English. I continue to be amazed at the power of the Holy Spirit. I’ll never sing “A Common Love” the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment